THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT.
WE LOVE, DONATE AND CARE FOR OUR COMMUNITY.
AN ESTIMATED 30 MILLION NORTH AMERICANS – 65% TO 70% OF THEM WOMEN – TURNED TO TANNING SALONS IN 2006 AS A CONTROLLED ALTERNATIVE TO OUTDOOR TANNING. IN FACT, THE PROFESSIONAL INDOOR TANNING INDUSTRY PROMOTES RESPONSIBLE INDOOR TANNING AND SUNBURN PREVENTION AS “SMART.”
1. Studies consistently have shown that once indoor tanning customers begin tanning in a professional salon, they are less likely to sunburn than they were before they started tanning. Studies have also shown that indoor tanners are less likely to sunburn outdoors as compared to non-tanners.
2. The question for each of us is: How much sun exposure is appropriate, and how much is too much? That’s why we’re here – to counsel you on tanning in a controlled environment, including the best available skin care designed for your skin type. Our Tan associates are always on hand to guide you to the perfect tan. At Sahara Tanning Salon, we offer UV tanning using the best beds in the industry, as well as Versa Spa® UV-free sunless tanning, whose patented micro-spray technology uses your body’s magnetic properties to deliver full, even coverage that quickly darkens to a rich, natural-looking tan and looks great all week.
- Fact #1: Sun exposure could actually help prevent cancer.
Evidence: Several studies have shown that Vitamin D, whose only reliable source for humans comes from sunshine, may play a role in retarding or arresting pre-cancerous cells in the body from reproducing.
- Fact #2: The benefits of sun exposure far outweigh the risks of sunburn and overexposure. Evidence: Non-melanoma skin cancer, which may be linked to sunburn and overexposure to ultraviolet light, has an extremely low death rate of 0.3 percent. The following diseases can be subdued by regular exposure to sun:
- Breast Cancer
- Colon Cancers
- Fact #3: People who receive regular exposure have a lower incidence of malignant melanoma than those who don’t.
Evidence: Researchers have known for years that individuals who receive regular exposure to sunshine have a lower risk of contracting melanoma skin cancer.
- Fact #4: If regular sun exposure could prevent cancer, why do we always hear the opposite?
Evidence: The fear of the sun, fear of wrinkles and the fear of skin cancer is a multi-billion dollar industry led by special interest groups. Lobbyists for pharmaceutical firms that sell billions of dollars of sunscreens and anti-sun cosmetics have teamed with dermatologists to promote a misinformed campaign of sun abstinence.
- Fact #5: Why don’t dermatologists like tanning?
Evidence: The dermatology industry makes most of its money on “vanity visits” from patients. Skin cancer is an important issue to the dermatology industry because it represents the only subject that its lobbyists can promote as critical.
- Fact #6: Is skin cancer a major concern?
Evidence: Absolutely, but it is a concern that professional indoor tanning facilities feel they are addressing effectively by teaching people to tan intelligently indoors and outdoors.